- B.A., St. Francis Xavier University
- LL.B, University of New Brunswick
- LL.M, University of Texas
- Doctoral candidate in Government, University of Texas (dissertation pending)
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Law Society of the North West Territories
- Law Society of Nunavut
- Texas Bar Association
Gary has represented First Nations and Inuit organizations as legal counsel, political advisor and negotiator for many years. His involvement has included constitutional development, treaty making and land issues, reconciliation and mutual benefits agreements with governments and corporate entities, economic development and power projects, and the development of First Nation governance.
Notable Legal Activities:
- Participation in establishment of Nunavut Territory
- Participation in patriation of Canadian Constitution
- Negotiation of Maa nulth Treaty, Tla-o-qui-aht Treaty, Homalco Treaty
- Negotiation of numerous specific claims
- Negotiation of road and service agreements.
- Negotiation of various power projects.
- First Nation economic development agreements
- First Nation government and administration development
- Chief Joe Mathias Scholarship Fund Board of Directors