Over 60 years experience helping to bring benefits and self-reliance to Indigenous communities
Ratcliff is respected and recognized as a leading Aboriginal law firm representing First Nations and Indigenous clients in Canada.
We help Indigenous peoples regain lost lands and re-establish and enforce Aboriginal rights. Through collaboration with Nations, we assist in the negotiation and implementation of economic opportunities in their territories, and establish sustainable development to bring long-lasting benefits and self-reliance to Indigenous communities.
We continue to lead landmark consultation cases, and have handled hundreds of negotiations with provincial and federal Crowns and/or third-party project proponents which have resulted in significant economic and cultural protection benefits.
For decades, we have successfully provided legal advice to First Nations that simultaneously recognize their constitutional rights, offer significant economic development opportunities, and establish the capacity to protect and enhance the natural environment.
Proud to be the most experienced law firm in BC in the areas of treaty negotiation and implementation
Our team of lawyers have been involved with the negotiation, closing and implementation of two of the three modern British Columbia treaties that achieved implementation.
Our lawyers provide advice on a full range of governance matters for First Nations classified as “bands” under the Indian Act, for Tribal Councils and similar governance organizations, and for Nations that have implemented treaties.
- Ranked Band 1 by Chambers Canada as a leading law firm in Aboriginal Law – Representation of Indigenous Peoples (2020-2023)
- Selected as ‘Elite Boutique’ in the 2023 edition of The Legal 500 in the area of Indigenous Law (Canada).
- Recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada™ as a Law Firm of the Year in Aboriginal Law/Indigenous Practice.
- Selected by The Globe and Mail as one of Canada’s Best Law Firms for 2022 & 2023 (Aboriginal Law/Indigenous Law)
- Listed by Global Law Experts and The Lawyer Network as First Nations Litigation Law Firm of the Year 2022 (Canada)