Brenda A. McLuhan *
604 988 5201
Legal Assistant & Paralegal
Brenda is an accomplished legal advisor practicing in the areas of employment and governance law. She acts mainly for employers, providing counsel on a variety of workplace-related issues including:
- Workplace disputes
- Discrimination and accommodation
- Wrongful and constructive dismissals
- Breaches of contract
- Professional discipline
- Canada Labour Code and BC Employment Standards complaints
- Workplace investigations
Brenda works pro-actively with clients to reduce workplace conflict and resolve it when it happens. Skilled in policy and contract drafting and implementation, Brenda also helps employers take steps to mitigate their risks.
With comprehensive experience working closely with Indigenous governments and organizations, Brenda is well positioned to provide specialized employment advice related to tribal councils, societies, and First Nation-owned companies. In this context, Brenda assists Indigenous clients navigate self-government jurisdiction as it relates to provincial and federal laws and codes.
From time to time, Brenda also assists First Nation governments in resolving governance issues, particularly in relation to election code challenges and complains.
In addition to legal representation, Brenda conducts workshops to coach employers and their teams on policy implementation and employee discipline best-practices. She also conducts mediations to resolve workplace disputes in a non-adversarial way.
Brenda enjoys learning about Indigenous culture and how it applies to the workplace.
In The Community
- Member, Canadian Bar Association B.C. Chapter
- Member, Canadian Bar Association Alberta Chapter, past Treasurer and Vice-Chair, Labour Law Subsection
- Past Treasurer and Vice-Chair, Canadian Bar Association Alberta Chapter, Labour Law Subsection
- B. Environmental Studies from University of Waterloo
- LL.B from Dalhousie University
Year Of Call
- British Columbia, 1994
- Alberta, 1996